709 AREA CODE NUMBER: LOCATION, CITIES, MAP AND TIME ZONE
The 705 area code was established in 1957, to help ease the load on two surrounding area codes, area codes 613 and 519. It was assigned for use by many communities within the area that lies to the North and the West of the Golden Horseshoe region of Ontario. It managed to keep up with the demand for new telephone numbers until 2011, when the 249 area code was overlaid with it as it was beginning to exhaust.
Despite having been given this much needed help, the 705 area code is still an active numbering option in all of the following areas:
- Blind River
- Bruce Mines
- Burk’s Falls
- Echo Bay
- Elliot Lake
- Fenelon Falls
- Goulais River
- Greater Sudbury
- Honey Harbour
- Iroquois Falls
- Iron Bridge
- Kirkland Lake
- Little Britain
- Little Current
- Moose Factory
- North Bay
- Parry Sound
- Port Carling
- Port McNicoll/Victoria Harbour
- Sables-Spanish Rivers
- Sault Ste. Marie
- Severn Bridge
- Smooth Rock Falls
- South River
- Joseph Island
- Sturgeon Falls
- Temiskaming Shores
- Trout Creek
- Wasaga Beach
- Greater Sudbury – Greater Sudbury is the largest of the cities in Northern Ontario in terms of population, and decades of recent growth have boosted it to become the 24th largest metropolitan area in Canada.
The city, founded simply as Sudbury in 1883, was created around a lucky find of large deposits of nickel ore by a Canadian Pacific Railway blacksmith named Tom Flannagan. His discovery brought many of the prospectors who were traveling to Canada in search of their fortune at the time and a decent sized mining community grew up around the 300 lakes that are dotted around the area.
Mining sustained Sudbury well throughout the decades, with the exception of crises in 1930s and 1970s, and is today enjoying something of a renaissance, both in the mining industry and the rehabbing of land to be used for recreational purposes. This has meant that the importance of tourism has increased significantly as well, now serving as the second largest employer.
- Peterborough – Almost every telephone number issued in the City of Peterborough is one that begins with the 705 area code. This has served to give the 705 area code more than a reputation as one that represents industrial areas, as the city is known as one geared toward good living and recreation. This is especially true for older people, as Peterborough has been named ‘Best Place to Retire in Canada’ on many occasions. It’s not all about the older generation, as an unusually low crime rate and a growing number of recreational opportunities have made it a magnet for younger families as well.
- Barrie – Barrie is one of the southernmost cities that are included in the 705 area code and as such serves as a bedroom community for many people who work in the Northern half of Toronto. It has even been designated an Urban Growth Centre by the Province of Ontario, to not only encourage residential expansion but general industrial growth as well.
- North Bay – North Bay is a city on the rise. Long a centre of transportation and a strategic point of trade the city is now making the most of its unique position spanning two large bodies of water, Lake Nipissing which is world-renowned for its fishing and sailing opportunities and the smaller Trout Lake, a favorite spot for those who like to canoe and water ski, to create a purpose-built waterfront and expand recreational, retail and commerce opportunities.
What’s in an Area Code?
When they were first conceived, area codes only had one, very practical purpose. With the technology available that would allow telephone users to dial long distance numbers directly, rather than through a human operator, they were needed to help make that possible. They were geographical markers, but only as far as the telephone system was concerned.
That was back in 1947, when A T & T and Bell helped introduce the North American Numbering Plan that still serves all of the United States and Canada. Now area codes are often very closely associated with the areas they serve in the minds of residents and visitors alike. And the 705 area code is no exception.
An area code can be especially important for a business. The area codes attached to the numbers they offer for consumers to contact them can help build their brand. The 705 area code covers a region that is both rich in history and is enjoying new growth opportunities, so associating a business with that reputation can be a great business branding tool for any company.
How to Get in On the 705 Area Code
Traditionally an area code can only be assigned to a phone or phone system that is physically located within the areas it covers. And if that area code is overlaid, as is the case with the 705 area code, it is also up to the local telephone company which of the available three-digit numbers are assigned. This can be something of a disadvantage to a company hoping to make use of the 705 area code to build their reputation.
There is now, however, a way that you can choose the area code assigned to your telephone numbers. It’s not something offered by a local telephone company, but an option available to those who chose to make the switch to a new kind of communications system; Digital Voice.
What is Digital Voice?
Digital Voice operates rather differently to a traditional phone line. Rather than relying on a series of land based hardware and wires to facilitate voice and data communications, it makes use of the Internet instead. This allows any home or business to put their Internet connection to work in all kinds of new, innovative and usually very cost effective ways.
What Digital Voice Can Do for Your Business – Telephone Communications
The communications needs of any business, large or small, that need to be met are changing all of the time. In terms of telephone communications, consumers have become increasingly demanding. They no longer have the patience to wait on hold for very long and they want their call routed quickly and efficiently, and if it’s not a very complicated inquiry they are usually happy to let an auto attendant handle it.
All of these calling features and enhancements, and more exist in the 21st century, but adding them via the local phone company is usually a time consuming and costly process. The fact that these features can be ‘built into’ a Digital Voice system in just a few clicks is one that appeals to many.
What Digital Voice Can Do for Your Business – Flexibility
It’s the hope of any business that it will continue to grow and change. This means that as it does its communications needs may change rapidly. Where a handful of phone lines may have once been required in order to provide the best customer service and best working environment for those answering the calls, new ones need to be added or new functionalities implemented. Doing so is far easier with a Digital Voice system, as all of the work is completed remotely and quickly, no service call required.
What Digital Voice Can Do for Your Business – Cost Savings
Nobody likes to waste money, and everyone likes to save where they can. Digital Voice communications usually cheaper to make per call or per data connection, than those made through a traditional phone system.
Want to learn more about getting a more efficient communications system in place for your home or business while also choosing the area code you prefer, including the 705 area code? Then contact us today, before the limited supply of these numbers are gone for good.