647 AREA CODE NUMBER: LOCATION, CITIES, MAP AND TIME ZONE
The 647 area code is one of several area codes designated to serve the city of Toronto, Ontario, a place that is not only one of the busiest and most cosmopolitan cities in Canada, but also increasingly in the world.
The 647 area code is not one of the original area codes that were assigned in 1947 under the North American Numbering Plan. Back then the only area code covering the area was 416 area code, which is exhausted.
The 647 area code was implemented in 2001 to help address the growing demand for new numbers. It has the distinction of being the first ever overlay code implemented in Canada and made the concept of seven-digit dialing, i.e. placing a call within Toronto using only the seven digit prefix, a thing of the past.
What is an Overlay Area Code?
The creation of an overlay area code is the practice of assigning a brand new three-digit dialing code to an existing numbering plan as that plan becomes over worked. In the case of area code 647, as we mentioned, it was ‘drafted in’ to take some of the burden away from the 416 area code. Once an overlay code is in place the same geographical locations can belong to two or more different area codes.
It is far from unusual for a larger city like Toronto to have several area codes, it’s a situation that exists across not just North America, but the world. While it was always expected that the original codes issued in 1947 would need to be expanded at some point it’s likely that back in the late 1940s no one really had an idea of just how heavy the demand would become for new phone numbers in general. Back then there were two basic telephone options a residential landline or a business landline and that is far from the case today.
Mobile phones – which are now owned by over 75% of the adult population in Canada have obviously contributed to the increased demand, but so have fax machines, growing business call centers, point of service payment systems and ATMs. There are several thousand ATM machines dotted around Toronto and they all need phone numbers and almost every retail store now takes debit or credit cards. So, when viewed this way it’s not hard to see how the number of unique seven-digit combinations that can be assigned a three digit area code can quickly become in very short supply.
Toronto Fast Facts
The 647 area code is one of three that currently serves the Toronto Metropolitan area ( a fourth, 387 area code, is already slated for future use) And this an area that is growing in leaps and bounds, as the once slightly mundane Southern Ontario city has become an international powerhouse in terms of business and culture. 437 area code is also the new one on list.
Here’s a look at some fascinating facts about Ontario’s capital city that you may not have known:
- The Greater Toronto area boasts over 6,000,000 residents, 5.6 million of whom live in the ‘city proper’.
- Toronto is now the fifth largest city in North America, just behind New York, Los Angeles, Mexico City and Chicago.
- The city of Toronto began its life as York, and served as the capital of ‘Upper Canada’ in 1793. It was renamed Toronto in 1834.
- Toronto has been voted the fourth most livable city in the world several times in a row.
- More than 30% of Toronto residents speak a language other than English and/or French.
- The Toronto PATH is the largest underground pedestrian system in North America. It connects over 1200 stores and restaurants, 50 office buildings, 20 parking garages, five subway stations and a railway terminal over the 28-kilometre length. This has earned Toronto the label of one of the most walkable cities in the world.
- Speaking of restaurants, the city of Toronto has more than 8,000 of them, and that does not include the growing number of food trucks roaming the city.
- Toronto is a major sports city, being home to The Toronto Raptors (basketball), The Toronto Blue Jays (baseball), The Toronto Argonauts (football), the Toronto FC team (soccer), Toronto Rock (National Lacrosse) the Toronto Marlies (American Hockey League) and, most famously The Toronto Maple Leafs of the National Hockey League.
- Even though they have not won the coveted Stanley Cup since 1967, the Toronto Maple Leafs are still one of the best-supported sports teams in the world, boasting consistent sellouts every year. Getting a ticket to any home game these days is something of a miracle.
- The Toronto Zoo is currently the largest in the world, boasting over 16,000 animal residents representing 461 different species.
- In economic terms, Toronto is currently considered the twelfth most economically powerful city. This designation is based on its financial centre score, its economic output score and its global economic power score.
- Toronto is now the third largest centre for movie production in North America, behind only Los Angeles and New York. Over 30,000 people are currently directly employed within the Toronto movie industry and many others on a part-time basis.
- People like to skate in Toronto, as evidenced by the 52 public skating rinks within the city limits.
- One of the reasons that Toronto is often highly ranked in terms of environmental friendliness is its citizens’ willingness to leave the car at home, if they have one at all and take the bus or train. In fact, Toronto’s transit system is the second largest in North America and has the highest per capita ridership rate, even larger than that of the legendary New York City Metropolitan Transit Authority.
Getting the 647 Area Code Number You Need
For a business, belonging to the Toronto area can be a big boon, especially in terms of business branding. One easy way that companies demonstrate that they belong to a certain community is via the area code attached to their phone number(s).
As it is a newer area code the 647 area code is often assigned to new, upcoming businesses, signaling to some that these are dynamic, innovative concerns, just like the city itself.
Getting a 647 area code number, if that is your preference, is not always easy when dealing with traditional local phone companies. They assign new phone numbers at random and how they see fit.
There is, however, a way to get a 647 area code number even if you and/or your business is not actually located in Toronto at all. And that is via state of the art Digital Voice telephone technology.
What is Digital Voice and How Does it Work?
With Digital Voice, there is less wiring and hardware that needs to be stored on your premises and that the installation of new phone lines is a matter of finding a new headset or handset with a USB connection, a USB port and then a few clicks of a button. With Digital Voice communication systems the days of waiting for hours (or days, or weeks) for a telephone company installation technician to show up are a thing of the past.
These are far from the only advantages of switching your standard phone service; residential or business from a traditional one maintained by the local phone company to one powered by cloud-based, Internet powered Digital Voice technology. Here are just some of the other benefits to be gained by doing so.
- Lower costs – Per call charges are significantly less, especially when it comes to long distance and international communications. In addition, Digital Voice providers are not required to charge the additional fees that a traditional phone company charges, a fact that can add up to significant savings over the course of the year.
- Choose Your Numbers – You can brand your business or residential phone numbers with the area code of your choice, including Toronto’s 647 area code, even if your physical premises are located somewhere else.
- Less Equipment, Less Hassle – Most of the technology needed to power a Digital Voice based business phone system is housed at your provider’s premises, so won’t be cluttering up your office. You also do not need to purchase special switching boxes or pay for new jacks to be installed.
- Ease of Installation – A Digital Voice telephone system is set up and installed remotely, and even if you are seeking a larger set up the whole process takes no more than a few hours.
- Data Integration – Businesses communicate in many different ways today. A Digital Voice system can be configured to accommodate many other solutions, including audio and visual conferencing, text and mobile communications, email and more.
If a 647 area code would benefit your company the time to act is right now. The supply of available numbers will continue to dwindle as the demand for them continues to grow, so call or contact us today to claim yours and begin creating the perfect Digital Voice system to suit your unique needs.